Noel Fogarty, a leader whom I respect tremendously recently told me, You must make a concentrated effort to help all your purpose partners make a heart connection with the mission. One thing I’ve learned is that if you think you’ve communicated, you probably haven’t.
Communicate your belief in the People First Human Value Proposition. Communicate your belief in the exalted dignity, worth, and potential of people. Communicate the organizational philosophy and your strategic model for the organization. Communicate your commitment to learning and growth. And above all, encourage every member of your leadership team to commit to catching purpose partners doing something right and then sincerely, specifically, immediately, and personally celebrating them. This should be considered one of every leader’s daily responsibilities.
Communicate with everyone in your organization so that they:
- Understand your philosophy, so that they . . .
- Agree with the organizational philosophy, so that they . . .
- Value these unifying beliefs, so that they . . .
- Care about how they manifest the philosophy as exemplars—competent, confident ambassadors and stewards of the values, mission, and vision of the company who are consistently living in . . .
- Alignment with their roles and responsibilities, so that they will more effectively . . .
- Serve others as they continue to . . .
- Grow in humility, so that they will be thoroughly equipped to . . .
- Meet the Needs of all stakeholders.
When we truly honor others and value them as people—not merely as “purpose partners” or “customers”—we cement bonds that cannot be created in any other way. The People First Human Value Proposition is waiting for bold, visionary leaders to fully believe, embrace, and utilize this philosophy. When they stand on this rock-solid philosophical foundation and incorporate the 10 Rules for Creating Outrageous Engagement, they will reap a spectacular, sustainable harvest of fully engaged purpose partners, happy customers, and high profits!